EarthQuaker Devices – Life Pedal V3, Distortion, Boost, Octaver
The EarthQuaker Devices Sunn O))) Life Pedal V3 offers distortion, boost and an adjustable octave-up effect in a compact effects pedal.
The 'Amplitude' section of the pedal is based on the classic 'White Face' distortion pedal, but the circuitry has been expanded to include three selectable clipping modes. The first position (No Diode OpAmp Drive) offers a rich drive at maximum volume. The second position uses two silicon diodes and a LED in an asymmetrical clipping configuration and produces a slightly compressed, smooth crunch reminiscent of an overdriven amp. The third position uses two silicon diodes and produces the classic 'white face' sound.
The Octave-Up section is completely analogue and can be mixed with the distortion via a knob or an optional expression pedal. The monophonic effect works 'cleanest' with single notes above the 12th fret played through the neck pickup. Chords produce a chaotic, 'clanging' sound. Turning the Octave control all the way up, the Sunn O))) Life Pedal V2 produces a dirty, angry fuzz sound reminiscent of the Super Fuzz.
The 'Magnitude' section is a MOSFET booster that drives tube amps into saturation. The booster works completely clean and adds no distortion to the signal itself, but offers an extremely high output level to push the front end of the amp.
The signal path goes Octave > Distortion > Boost, and both sections can be used independently of each other.
- Distortion / boost effects pedal with blendable analog octave up effect
- Designed in cooperation with Sunn O))) to recreate 'Life Metal' front end sound and to drive the amplifier tubes
- 3 different selectable clipping modes (symmetrical silicon / asymmetrical silicon and LED / no diode OpAmp drive)
- Silent relay-based soft touch switching for both momentary and latching footswitch operation
- Uses EQD's proprietary Flexi-Switch® technology
- True bypass
- Controls for Magnitude, Octave, Clip, Distortion, Filter, Amplitude
- 3-way rotary switch for three clipping modes
- Magnitude footswitch (Boost on/off), Octave footswitch (Octave on/off), Amplitude footswitch (Distortion on/off)
- 6.3 mm expression pedal input to control octave up effect
- Power supply via optional 9V DC adapter, 2.1 x 5.5 mm barrel plug, polarity (-) center
- Battery operation not supported
- Current draw 15 mAD
- Dimensions (L x W x H) 120 x 146 x 38 mm / 4.75" x 5.75" x 1.5"
- Weight 542 g / 1.195 lbs