EarthQuaker Devices – Plumes
- Low to medium gain overdrive effects pedal
- Unique approach to the legendary green overdrive pedal with more headroom, lower noise and significantly better signal integrity
- 3 different selectable clipping modes (symmetrical LED, asymmetrical silicon, and no diode OpAmp drive)
- Improved tone control to sculp low end, clear top end, and focused midrange
- Works with electric guitars, basses and synthies
- Silent relay-based soft touch switching for both momentary and latching footswitch operation
- True bypass
- Controls for Level, Tone, Gain
- 3-way toggle switch for three clipping modes
- Bypass footswitch
- Status LED
- Metal housing
- 6.3 mm mono in / output jacks
- Power supply via optional 9V DC adapter, 2.1 x 5.5 mm barrel plug, polarity (-) center
- Battery operation not supported
- Current draw 25 mA
The EarthQuaker Devices Plumes is based on the legendary green overdrive pedal, which has been the industry standard for decades. In combination with a good tube amp, the Plumes creates a warm, transparent saturation. EarthQuaker Devices relinquishes the trusted JRC4558 OpAmp and BJT Buffers and replaces them with low noise JFET OpAmps for a more robust and precise signal with a significantly lower noise floor. With 10 megohms of input impedance, the pedal provides a stronger signal with more clarity and chime. EarthQuaker Devices adjusted the cutoff of the tone control to deliver a more useful range of travel with more booming bass on the low end without sacrificing the cutting midrange and bright top end.
In addition, the Plumes offers three selectable clipping modes to ensure that it will work with a wide variety of gear and playing styles. Mode 1 is symmetrical clipping based on a pair of LEDs. This is the crunchiest setting the Plumes has to offer. When played through a clean amp, it will deliver that classic crunchy valve amp tone. Mode 2 is a clean boost without soft clipping and with straight OpAmp drive, perfect for pushing your clean tone out in front or driving the preamp of an already overdriven amp into breakup saturation. Mode 3 is an asymmetrical silicon diode arrangement like an original screamer but with more output and clean clarity.
The Plumes features EarthQuaker Devices relay-based 'soft touch' Flexi-Switch Technology for both momentary and latching footswitch operation.